We have a great deal to be thankful for in this great state. A great deal to protect, and attempt to keep. I have listed a few things below as a start for those who are looking at doing something.. ANYTHING to help this state survive the current events that threaten our way of life, our vitality, and traditions. Hardly a complete list, it is a start. Any one item followed through can yield from merely minor to the more significant results.
- Talk to your parents, kids, brothers, or friends. Encourage them to look at what is happening, and attempt to get them to focus on what caused our woes, and educate them. Using historical precedent is often the best way to do so without appearing to simply make up statistics.
- Craft your arguments carefully. Michigan has its share of pundits on both sides of the aisle. Either camp will exclude facts that run contrary to their beliefs. Sometimes this is intentional, other times they can be carefully avoided. The best course is to know your weaknesses, and understand why you may have inconsistencies. Logic will always prevail if used, and in my experience, those forces which currently have the greatest impact on the welfare of Michigan see logic as their wooden stake.
- Cement your convictions. If you cannot make a snap decision based on your core principles, perhaps they are not what you truly believe. Understand WHY certain guide posts should be important to you. KNOW that the best decisions can be made when you are not relying on an emotional state to make them. If you have solid CORE beliefs, you will likely never have to apologize or feel uncomfortable taking a position, or making a stand.
- Call and write to your state representatives. Convince them to adopt simplified tax or regulatory policy. Encourage your family and friends to do likewise. They are most certainly listening, but a frequent reminder is sure to keep them in the habit of remembering why they are there. Sometime they only lose their way, and need to be given a guide.
- Call and write your federal Representatives. Encourage them to cease further environmental legislation which has been a major factor in the death of Jobs in Michigan and elsewhere. Write Stabenow and Levin, even if they continue to send back their typical form letter garbage which is nearly never on topic. BURY them in letters. Again, involve your family if they will help.
- Write your newspaper. Not only to the “letters page,” but encourage them to offer better balance in their reporting. If you feel they are doing a disservice by slanted writing, or by lack of coverage, let them know if necessary with the lack of your subscription. This is working in northern Michigan. As Subscriptions dwindle our local paper seems to be attempting to be a little more “neutral in its reporting. At least from the sampling I have done. (I let my subscription lapse 3 months ago.)
- Start an underground news letter. This can be fun, can forward the conservative agenda, and can potentially make you some money at the same time. I don’t think there is a person reading this who hasn’t seen the local giveaway liberal slant sheet or 4 page news papers in their local pizza shop, or hang outs. These folks have had the edge in this market for years. Some have gone from far left to slightly left of center to improve their profit margins so as not to not insult the businesses which pay the bills. I have done it, and there is ALWAYS a market. If you or a family member already run a business, use that business as an anchor advertiser.
- Plan, or attend an event. The number of folks who want to help get a message across to our elected leadership is a very great number indeed. Simply because ALL media outlets don’t give the Tea Parties the attention due them, does not mean they are ignored by those who we are trying to reach. Two events to NOT miss: June 13, 2009 Tea Party Convention and July 4, 2009 Lansing Independence day Tea Party.
- Run for office. Yes that’s right grab the necessary signatures and find a local, regional or frankly any public seat where you think you can make a difference by reducing the ever growing burdens placed on Michigan business or its residents. You will have a great deal of support if you have the right message. Believe it or not, and contrary to what certain national figures who claim to be representative of conservatives, people DON’T WANT MORE TAXES OR SERVICES.
- Help someone run for office. Offer whatever you feel is your skill. Your time for some of the simpler tasks, or even promoting a message of a real conservative can be quite rewarding when your guy/gal wins. If done properly even if they don’t win, the opposition might well hear the message loud and clear. Again, don’t be bashful about your convictions.
- Buy Michigan products when able. the smallest purchases add up. Sometimes its just a matter of paying attention. I have seen multiple times where foreign products were actually MORE expensive than Michigan made goods. Paying attention helps.
- Pray or meditate. Often we have the most uncanny inspiration when we ask for it. You don’t have to be a heavily religious person to appreciate this. Sometimes we need to understand there are SOME things that are beyond our direct control, but at the same time inescapable in their ultimate responsibilities. Finding solutions can be often easier with a fresh perspective and a receptive attitude.
Please feel free to add you own. In fact.. Make that IDEA 13. Comment on Michigan Taxes Too Much blog and offer your suggestions!