Betrayed but not beaten

I cannot this morning bring myself to turn on the TV.  To see the gloating face of what I fear is the enemy within.  I feel betrayed.  I feel betrayed by a daughter, who while brought up in a household of self helpers, and libertarian belief chose to side (because she can think for herself) with the bastion of Liberalism that is Oregon.  I feel betrayed by My friend and neighbor, whom for so many years has spoke of individual liberty, owns a business yet an Obama sign appeared in his yard in the last days. I feel betrayed by my good friend Michael, a businessman, who is Black, and even while understanding that Obama is not someone who reflects his core beliefs, voted for him so he could feel good for his kids.

On the emotional level, I cannot put into words the absolute gut wrenching disgust of what I know Obama to be.  Perhaps part of it is what I don’t know.  Perhaps it is a fear that the entire institution of our national government has taken a decided move towards the ideals of  Karl Marx, where “fairness” and “equality” determine fiscal and social policy.  That intellectually lazy place where a person can be as productive as an unfed milking cow, yet be rewarded at the same level as someone who grows food for thousands.  The era of Equal Work for Equal Pay, which replaces Equal Results For Equal Pay begins,  Even though “work” as a level.. cannot be defined.

On a logical level, I now must make decisions which insure that I still am able to proceed forward with my business.  I still must put food on the table, but looking forward, I understand the limited rewards of my efforts.  I understand that a significant part of what I earn will be used to fund the detruction of life via abortion, perpetuate sloth, and feed the machinery of an elitist government which derives more power by taking more from its people than it needs  if, it had stayed true to  the intent of the framers.

This morning, I feel betrayed by Our country. a country which has been so richly rewarded by its free markets, yet has grown soft and fails to recognize history, and the threat of those who destroy such markets.   But I will perservere. And God willing, we all will through the next 4 years.

9 comments for “Betrayed but not beaten

1. November 5, 2008 at 8:58 am

Bill tossed up an Obama sign?

2. Ed Burley
    November 5, 2008 at 10:03 am

Jason,
    I hear ya. I have to go to my workplace, where the cacklin’ hens will be jubilant. I expect stories of orgasmic elation, experienced when “the One” spoke last night after the debacle was declared over.

I feel like calling in sick.

3. November 5, 2008 at 10:07 am

The only bright side: there are no more excuses or arguments about the need for special preferences.

November 5, 2008 at 10:25 am

This is true Bruce.

I saw your post remarking on that as well. I will follow that argument and forward it. And I do think it is a very bright side, particularly from a philosophical perspective going forward.

5. November 5, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I am with you. I am not a Republican or Democrat. I am a conservative. My son voted for Obama as well. I think we can only wait to see how this all turns out.

As far as the recall of the Speaker of the House, we were out spent 10 to 1 and dwarfed by the wave of Obama supporters who voted a straight ticket. They had an amazing get out the voter organization when the Republicans gave up on Michigan.

MY only hope is that noone will give up the effort to make a more perfect union. I know I will not give up the effort.

What have we wrought. “a Democracy if we can keep it”.
    ******Ben Franklin

Rose Bogaert, Chair
    Wayne County Taxpayers Association

6. November 5, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Hey Jay,

“Betrayed” suggests that people made some promise to you, or somehow owed something to you, like to agree with your beliefs and positions. I doubt that’s the case. Anyhow, people vote for all sorts of reasons based on all sorts of experiences that you and I haven’t had, and always based on limited knowledge (none of knows everything). As for electing Obama, here is some of what they may have seen that went into their thinking:

1. After a fairly dramatic rise in real incomes in the 90s, income fell for most families during the Bush presidency. Economics is complicated to say the least, but whatever was being done didn’t work. Meanwhile John McCain never once got on TV to say, “These are the ten things I’ll do differently than George Bush in regards to the economy.” That left people with no reason to suspect that they would get a different result with him. Rightfully or not, they at least had some hope that the changes Obama will make would help.

2. The rich meanwhile got richer in recent years, which would not be an issue except for some of the ways they did it. For example, recent research by the Cato Institute, which probably wouldn’t let a liberal through the front door, says that close to 90 billion is being handed out annually in corporate welfare (and they don’t count tax breaks since that is just allowing companies to keep more of what is theirs). That money props up profits which then get handed out by the billions in bonuses. That’s one example of a hundred of a redistribution of wealth from working Americans to the wealthiest few (I’ll be reporting on the others on “The New Ideas Blog.”) People don’t like their hard earned money going to those wealthy few who milk the system. Again, it was not unreasonable to think that Obama was more likely to change that than McCain.

3. As for “sharing the wealth,” there is no argument on principle between the two sides. McCain and 90% of republicans believe in all sorts of “share the wealth” programs ranging from welfare to college grants to Medicaid and much much more. The fact that those who make over $200,000 per year voted heavily for Obama suggests that many of those who will pay more in taxes are okay with that. They might prefer more redistribution to the poor, rather than to the wealthy.

I prefer neither, but I saw McCain stand there and promise $300,000 to bail out irresponsible home owners with my money, so I certainly can’t believe that he has any principled stand that is different from Obama’s “socialist” ideas. In other words, when almost all of the country is agreed on basic “socialist” ideas (whether or not they use the label), including almost all your favorite candidates, how could the people take seriously charges that Obama is too radical just because he proposed spending a more? That’s a difference of degree, not principle.

4. As for how much he will spend, how could they believe that was really such a threat after seeing the past few Republican presidents add more debt to our country than all the Democratic administrations in our history put together?

5. Finally, agree or not, most people now think this war in Iraq has achieved nothing for us except death and debt. McCain wants victory, with no definition of what that “victory” would look like. We still subsidize at taxpayer expense the defense of South Korea to the tune of billions of dollars and 20,000 U.S. soldiers – 56 years after the war “ended.” Is that victory?

I think the bottom line is that the Republicans brought this on themselves. People want change, and they felt some hope of that with Obama – even if they aren’t sure what that change will consist of. They saw only more of the same with McCain. He just never made it clear how he would be that different from Bush, who has the lowest approval ratings of any president since such things were measured.

In fact, it is easy to see how more of the same felt riskier than taking a chance on an unknown who promises to “share the wealth” a little more and a little differently than the Republicans do it.

7. bbaker
    November 5, 2008 at 7:42 pm

It was about race,pure and simple.I don’t believe his supporters bothered with issues.Now lets see what happens.This is not the end but the beginning of a renewed conservative movement.

8. michael J. Gillman
    November 5, 2008 at 11:01 pm

It isn’t betrayal when an intelligent daughter you have raised to think for herself, makes her own decisions. None of us are clones All we can ask of our children is the ability to think and make rational decisions. Of my five sons, all have a range of political views…happily a range on the right side of the political ledger, but a very real range nevertheless. Be proud that she voted…understand there are legitimate issues and values the two of you don’t share, and remember the FIRST half of the old saying: If you are under 30 and not a liberal, you don’t have a heart; if you are over 30 and not a conservative, you don’t have a brain. Time works wonders…it did with you.

9. November 5, 2008 at 11:08 pm

That’s right, economics are not easy. Well, basic principals can be easily understood, however it’s ludicrous to believe that any central authority can fix an economy – it just can’t happen. Hayek knew this. Idiots like FDR and Keynes however thought that government intervention can “fix” the economy. Government intervention can only hurt, and not help. Hell, look at the creation of the fed. It certainly hasn’t stopped any of the problems it was purported it would with it’s creation. Oh, by the way, a couple of UCLA economists back in 2004 figured that it was FDRs New Deal policies that extended the great depression.

McCain certainly isn’t immune, however I’d rather maintain the status quo, buy some time, and try to kick the big government “conservatives” to the curb instead of having to to… deal, to put it nicely, with Obama’s “Civilian National Security Force”.

Yeah, with shit like this, I’ll go for the status quo: