A couple of interesting tidbits about Michigan's concealed carry laws

I was looking at the portion of the MCL (Michigan Compiled Laws) concerning the carry of concealed firearms.

I noticed a couple of interesting things.

The first thing (MCL 28.425j), which is concerned with the training program required to get a CCW:

(1) A pistol training or safety program described in section 5b(7)(c) meets the requirements for knowledge or training in the safe use and handling of a pistol only if the program consists of not less than 8 hours of instruction and all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:

What’s so special here? Well, for those who aren’t familiar with how public acts are written, the beginning of an act usually contains a section with definitions. In this case, it’s MCL 28.421. If you look, there is no definition as to what constitutes a “national or state firearms training organization”. You know what that means? I could just go to the Grand Traverse County offices, register “Jason’s National Firearms Training Institute” for $10 (good for 5 years!), and then offer the instruction required under 5j.

There’s of course this requirement:

(d) The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a national organization to teach the 8-hour pistol safety training course described in this section.

Of course, if I own the organization, I just certify myself.

Well, it looks like I just saved myself a couple of bucks…

Now on to the next interesting tidbit I found.

This time, it concerns itself with the requirements in order to carry (and purchase, transport, and posses). This falls under MCL 28.422. Basically it says you have to get a purchase permit to buy, or get a license to carry.

Now let’s take a look at MCL 28.432:

(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.

(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.

(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.

(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.

Aww shit, Drill Sergeant. It certainly looks to me like I’m exempt from the requirement of being licensed in order to carry concealed if I’m traveling to or from my military duties. It’s pretty clear cut from the language.

So yeah, good times abound.

Loading Facebook Comments ...