Tough Decisions..

While I will agree with Republican gubernatorial primary candidate Pete Hoekstra, and my congressman Dave Camp 90% of the time, I respectfully must disagree with their decision Sept 22, 2009 on H.R.3548. There is no doubt in my mind that their votes were sincere, and out of concern for Michiganders left without jobs, but I disagree that their efforts provide any long term benefits to the recipients and taxpayers alike.

Even in light of Michigan’s troubling unemployment numbers, extending unemployment benefits at a cost to taxpayers merely provides more fuel for encouraging a further recession.  The state becomes a crutch while workers wait for some miracle to turn the economy around.  While workers wait, they become more dependent on government process, and less self sufficient.

I am not merely complaining however.

Occasionally, those of us who speak out against government “benevolence” as a solution to economic woes and events are chastised for apparent lack of solutions to issues such as these.  Aside from the obvious solution as being non participatory in the misguided social manipulations often referred to as safety nets, there are other simple solutions for problems such as these that might well be immediately regarded as cruel or heartless, but could have immediate and lasting positive effects for the economy.

Read my column  Michigan Business Done Right – “Solution” on Wednesday at RightMichigan.Com for a little different look on what tough decisions can be made that would provide FULL employment inside of one year if implented.

19 comments for “Tough Decisions..

1. October 19, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Michigan Unemployment Trends – August 2009

Michigan Unemployment Trends Visualized as a Heat Map:
    Michigan Unemployment in August 2009 (BLS data)

versus Michigan Unemployment Levels 1 year ago

October 19, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Normally I delete the auto spam, but found it interesting..

2. hopeless in illinois
    October 21, 2009 at 7:25 am

Yes tell that to the countless americans whom are at the poverty level at no fault of thier own. It really saddens me because individuals in your realm know that capatlism is an demonic system that preys on the workers! good luck with the tent cities !!!!!

October 21, 2009 at 7:53 am

Whom might be at fault?

3. b. pol
    October 21, 2009 at 8:38 am

In a Brookings Institution survey, America ranked dead last in duration of unemployment benefits. We provide almost no safety net for our unemployed, in contrast to the policies in place in the rest of the civilized world.

Shame on the GOP for blocking this much needed legislation. 400,000 unemployed are now without any means of survival, and that number will increase to 600,000 by the end of this month. 1.3 million by the end of the year.

Shame on the GOP and Senator Reid for stalling this legislation.

October 21, 2009 at 9:32 am

Unemployment could disappear completely if our government got out of the business. Perhaps the last place ranking was a little more proof, as Europe has been suffering our current woes for decades through its over done safety nets.

4. b. pol
    October 21, 2009 at 8:39 am

every single day the senate stalls, another 7,000 fall off the unemployment benefit rolls.

5. Gary
    October 21, 2009 at 8:44 am

The two clueless Republicans holding up the unemployment extension bill H.R.3548 are Jon Kyle from Arizona (202) 224-4521 and Orrin Hatch from Utah (202) 224-5251.

Everyone give them a wakeup call for the unemployed who are now without benefits, and each week more join the list. Six million unemployed = Depression! Nationally, employers have dumped over 260,000 jobs, meaning that these are jobs that no longer exist.

Sign the petition to Stop the Senate from denying extended unemployment at: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/pass-the-unemployment-bill

The Senate Republicans are out of touch, delusional and not serving the people. Truly failure of government at a time of its citizens’ highest need.

October 21, 2009 at 9:34 am

Its not the Republicans who have caused this. (well.. maybe some who are “moderate”) Business will not be able to hire if government steals its resources. Hats off to Kyle and Hatch if they are holding it up.

6. slim
    October 21, 2009 at 9:51 am

are they going to discuss HR3548 on cspan2?

7. Michelle in Wisconsin
    October 21, 2009 at 9:58 am

and jgillman, these “other simple solutions” to extended unemployment insurance benefits(safety nets) that you refer to that might be immediately regarded as “cruel and heartless”, are you referring to these disinfranchised maybe shooting their heads off, murdering their dependants or something- maybe just doing away with their miserable selves? Because if not, why don’t you please enlighte us by sharing with us unemployed a few of these “simple solutions”- I for one would LOVE to hear them- if your suggestion leads to my returned ability to make a living, I will nominate YOU for the Nobel Peace Prize. There is currently 1 job For every 6 DOCUMENTED unemployed persons. Wake up to Reality will you please! Your eloquent vocabulary has not masked your evident ignorance to the simple fact that there are not enough jobs to be had by all and lenders are not extending business loans to those who have the idea and motivation to start up their own- so oh yes please- share with us your simple solutions- I’m on pins and needles in anticipation of the epiphanies to come.

October 21, 2009 at 10:11 am

I hope that others don’t have the same thoughts as you seem to carry. I never would consider “shooting one’s head off” an answer for being unemployed.

For the Nobel prize, I will accept your nomination. in two hours (noon 10-21-09) visit http://rightmichigan.com to be enlightened.. You do not need a necessarily “open mind,” but if it is closed, you will continue to suffer continued unemployment woes. Read it, sleep on it, and consider the alternatives.

8. Michelle in Wisconsin
    October 21, 2009 at 10:47 am

jgillman, after building skills and work experience for the last 19 years I have not found work that I applied for in my speicalized field of Finance, a receptionist job or even a front line fast food worker, to cite a few of the thousands of jobs I have applied for over the last 18 mos- and I am not alone.

*After the 1st tier of my 6 months of Unemployment ran out I lost the ability to pay the reduced payment my home lender had been accepting- and within 3 months after that I lost the home I had successfully afforded for 10 years

*Thankfully, I have family with the means and compassion to take myself, husband and our 2 children in so WE have not been in the streets while continuing to job seek- but I can’t imagine what we would have done/ would do without their assistance because I have tried to imagine,

WHAT WOULD WE DO,… WHAT COULD WE DO…….IF;
    *Neither my husband or I could find work
    *There were NO assistance for shelter, food, clothing
    *There was no one that could take us in
    *There was no room in the shelter
    *There was not enough food at the food pantry/ food shelter
    *There werent enough donated winter coats/ hats mittens for my sons

jgillman- that is the sad and real wall that some couples and single parents are coming up against. I personally would not think to take my life or that of my children, but others certainly have had & have carried out those thoughts- not just one, but handfuls of people as reported here http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/38513199.html . A few irrational people you may say; but it just keeps getting worse. Whoever you are- man, woman, Democrat or Republican, unemployed or employed- cherish your good fortune and blessings for there are millions of your own countrymen who are not as fortunate and they dont know why and they dont what to do— I asked you for your solutions and you gave none. I will check back in 2 hours as you suggested, in hopes that you are more than the typical person who has not encountered or endured my same hardship who so flippantly says, “Stop whining, buck up and get a job”.

October 21, 2009 at 12:21 pm

The post is up at RightMichigan.com

As to the realities. I have had ups and downs, but I also have had my experience with unemployment that left me with an understanding of how damaging it is. A safety net that catches you, but then wont allow you to break free.

Please go look

9. Maggie May
    October 21, 2009 at 11:16 am

I have been unemployed for 2 LONG years. I worked in a law office so when I even apply for lower paying jobs I just get the same ole thing…we will call if you are hired. They dont seem to realize just because I “use” to make money to support my family I am not going to leave them just for a higher paying job in my field which is why they dont hire me. I am over quilfied for thier opening. I have already had one car repo’d and living on end of the roll toilet paper that a friends gives us when she cleans office buildings … how sad is that.
    People need to come down to our level and live a year or two then see how fast they are ready to judge us and say the same lame thing…”there are jobs out there if you really wanted to work”.
    I know more people OUT of work now then working!

10. gfab20029
    October 21, 2009 at 1:17 pm

This come from a person who has a job….it figures!!!

October 21, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I stopped counting on others for my job and created one for myself.. I also have created them for others as I have 4 employees and their families which rely on this business.

I know the personal reality of being broke, and Mac-n-cheez lunches… breakfast.. or dinners. Been there. Having been on both sides of the repo truck as a the guy doing, and the guy getting done gives me a little perspective.

Go read the article.. If you want a job THAT is the solution. If you want to complain you cannot live without government involvement in your life then you will pull from it your utter and complete contribution.

I WANT you to have a job. I WANT you to have opportunities. Just remember that government decisions are no less flawed than our own personal ones. Only when those decisions are imposed upon us, more are affected at a time. THAT creates crisis.

11. mrm1079
    October 27, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Michelle in Wisconsin. So very eloquently put! A very accurate depiction of what is going on right now in the job market.

As for jgilman…dude you should not speak…your ignorance is deafening. Go give your employees a raise, hire someone or shut up. Any thank that government that gives you the right to air that precious convoluted opinion of yours.

employed 30 years – unemployed 1 year- prospects 0

October 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Fascinating that one who declares I should not have a voice still requires my acquiescence to have their own opinion aired.. on my forum.

Did you happen to follow through and look at the solution I presented? IF you did, are you shocked?

If we as a nation were to adopt my suggestions, you would be employed for as long as you like. As LONG or as SHORT as YOU like. (please take note of the highlighted parts of the commentary.)

And consider your own statement:

“It HAS NEVER in any of our lifetimes been this bad with unemployment and cost of living so high. ”

Gosh.. you don’t say… Imagine that.. government GROWS.. and the economy goes to hell.. lets put those puzzle pieces.. together.. a little tug here… a little shove there.. OMFG an EPIPHANY!!!