McCain Palin really are Michigan's hope for a future.

I have written my Kvetches about John McCain, and any candidate slash politician who has crossed the line my personal convictions wouldnt allow.  I have not, nor will I let up on calling out that which I disagree with regard to social policy and economic effect.  McCain’s support and writing of an anti first amendment law, some of his going for ( IMO ) economy damaging green legislation, and his most recent signing of the bailout bill which passed like a bottle of rum and raisins through congress and the house.

Having said all that…

One would have to be naive to think they will agree on all issues with the best candidate available.  Let me restate that in another way: John McCain is as close to what is right for MICHIGAN and the rest of the country as we have in choices this time around.  While you might not find that as a glowing endorsement, it might be worthwhile to consider the following: I don’t have many ads for candidates on the site.

My “Dear John” letter was “critically acclaimed,” and many found an entertaining element in it.  The enjoyment in the wordplay seemed short lived to me however, when the very next day after publishing, Team McCain decided to pull out of the state.  Ow.  Although I am sure this little blog had nothing to do with that, I suspect the feelings I had expressed were also being expressed from other corners of the state, and perhaps the message was all to easily recieved.

I am hopefully not too dense to realize the implications of a complete pullout from Michigan by McCain, So I  immediately responded with a number of emails and some follow up calls with the McCain campaign.  Also, paid a visit to the MI GOP site and made a donation I could afford.  My theory, was it was going to take a lot more effort for the rest of the conservatives trying to make things right in Michigan this election cycle.  In Fact, I also considered Jack Hoogendyk’s campaign for the US Senate seat now occupied by the Ultra Liberal 30 year veteran Carl Levin.  It all matters, and I figured we needed a little more effort for the home team.

Folks, Michigan has been fighting for job creation, and new opportunities for its entire existence.  In all of history, even the worst times in the nation hadn’t put our state in the shape we have seen in the last few years.  Mismanagement by a democrat controlled state house, and the pressure on the senate to a point of extortion by our governor has kept our state in perpetual vulnerability.

However, Granholm is NOT the only reason we are at this point.  Though she is incompetent as our governor, and a more market based tax policy and regulatory environment could have helped the job creators on the fence when deciding to leave or not, it is the “Granholms” in congress who really set the tone.  The representiative leadership (or lack thereof) has been pursuing heightened “green” policies from the time they controlled the house.

And though the discussion of “global warming,” or as it is called for acceptability reasons now “climate change” have been going on for years prior, the legislative furor and impetus to “do something” has never been higher than in the last couple of years.  The sky has been falling for these folks since they were born.  The problem is however, that for much of the agenda the Granholms in Washington, the constant crisis mode allows them access to unadulterated power, and the more legislation they can pile on to energy concerns the more they interfere with free market elements, and ultimately cause a rise in the price of..  well EVERYTHING.

McCain’s Choice of Sarah Palin is no mistake.  It was a brilliant move by a man who can see outside himself and understands the weaknesses he carries.  And for all the areas which he may be wrong, she balances in a way that people on an unconscious level understand.  The left, given their agenda, FEAR her, the right fearing more government adore her, which makes the left fear her more.  Naysayers suggest she is popular in Alaska because she had so much to work with, being in an oil rich state with a low population.  I would make the argument that MICHIGAN has resources as plentiful, but mismanagement at the top has prevented the development of them.

The election of McCain Palin could set the stage for a healthy economy in Michigan.  Voters here would still have to “throw the bums out” of our state legislature and exec office this year and in 2010, but Michigan’s value to the rest of the country, and the rest of the free world with which we deal can again be seen as formidable.  When we don’t have artificial restrictions coming from Washington, Michiganders can be resourceful.  O-Who would be a boat anchor on the economy of the country, and particularly Michigan, with increased energy costs, and higher manufacturing and corporate costs.

Its time for Michigan to be back at the table. Now serve us up a little McCain Palin, and a side of Hoogendyk please?

18 comments for “McCain Palin really are Michigan's hope for a future.

1. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 8:46 am

Reagonomics is dead. The heady times of conservative think tanks like the Mack Center will soon go the way of the polyester suit. That thud you heard last night–after the REPUBLICAN candidate endorsed mortgage bailout–was the proverbial white flag by those who believe in the Darwinistic free market at any and all costs.

The American people are speaking. Listen up!

October 8, 2008 at 9:11 am

Bill if you have something credible to say feel free to do so, but this is not the platform for the weak minded talking points you spout. Obviously, like the other places you have been ejected from for your lack of good manners your welcome here is waning.

Having said that. I am not happy to have seen the “bailout comment by McCain, but Darwinistic suggests that the free market caused this? Au contraire mon ami stupide. When we have a free market UNHINDERED by this type of garbage, we can then START looking at cause and effect of it.

Until then, Socialism as it appears in government, Unions, Education.. wrecks it all up.

3. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 9:23 am

Don’t worry, Gillman: if you don’t agree with what I say you can always get me banned and help ping my IP address. That’s your answer to anyone who presents something you can’t refute.

I will say I’ve never called you stupid or a fool–yet you continually engage in name calling AND on top of that gleefully participate in banning and silencing those who don’t agree with you.

Grow the f*** up.

October 8, 2008 at 9:59 am

I have yet to ban anyone beyond the spam bots.

I am pointing out you spout the same STUPID things about Reaganomics, Dismiss the incredible contributions the Mackinac center makes on our behalf, and continue to think real Free markets wouldn’t work.

IMO that is STUPID.

FOOLISH, is when you assess my motivations or reference openly without knowing who I am, or what my experiences are. And also failing to understand that I AM AN EMPLOYER who is saying what will happen with an O-Who presidency. This is not 3rd party hearsay from a Saul Alinsky Text book you read, but the facts ON THE GROUND as they exist.

What you need to do, if you want to convince ME or anyone that your ideology is not FLAWED, is offer examples where it works. Reasoned Logic will be the decider. Emotional claims are worthless and cheapen the debate.

5. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 10:14 am

I voted for Reagan. Twice. You know, back in the day when you were too young to vote? Yeah, back then.

And you asked Nick to shoot you an IP address on me over at Right. Give me a break.

Look: I’m not the one saying the trends are going the way on your beliefs, not the one saying the free market ship is sinking. The people saying it are conservative talking heads. And the editor of maga like FORTUNE. Your beef is with them. You’re simply killing the messenger.

6. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 10:24 am

The Right also can’t have it both ways: they’re fine and dandy with trotting Palin out there with her winks and “doggonits” and loving it when people gravitate to her for those shallow reasons–yet they then grouse about Obama’s lack of substance and his “charisma” and say the American people need to be more substantive.

Huh?

It’s not about you and what you think. It’s not about me and I what I think. It’s about trends and perceptions. And rightly or wrongly the American people right now are blaming Republicans and they’re blaming unfettered free-market economy as the culprits.

You aren’t going to change that arguing on a blog. The Mack Center isn’t going to change that with their revisionist “book” on the Great Depression.

I understand the need to stick with the sinking ship, but the reality is this stuff is cyclical and the heady days of the 80s that spawned Reagan and the Mack Center and all of that stuff are over or soon will be.

October 8, 2008 at 10:40 am

There you go again Bill, What is it about Palin that drives you guys into a frenzy? Because she is everything RIGHT about the country maybe? Self made, aggressive for the interest of the people, Pro life and a super MOM. wow Doggonit Bill, you are making my point about the emotionalism..

As for blame? That is why I am here and what I THINK MATTERS. Blame is appropriate and the blame for the entire mess will eventually fall to the correct place on the shoulders of the liberals who forced banking in a direction it had no buisness going for WELFARE and SOCIALIST IDEALS.

We are attempting to lift this sinking ship while folks like you continue to drill holes in the bottom with poor policy and misguided empathetical solutions.

8. October 8, 2008 at 10:40 am

Sure hope the rest of Michigan comes to understand this before the election… good for you putting “your money where your mouth is.” I heard a spiritual leader say once if you want to know what is important in someone’s life, take a look at their check register!

“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people… of the characters and conduct of their rulers.” John Adams

9. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 11:29 am

My point was simple: you can’t have it both ways. You can’t have Palin and what she brings to the ticket and why she brings it to the ticket and complain about people liking Obama because of his charisma.

It’s a sword that both parties exploit.

10. Richard Schneider
    October 8, 2008 at 11:53 am

Being this close to the election, I spend a lot of time at home, clinging to my gun and praying to God that McCain/Pulen win. As I drive around the rural Northern Michigan and enjoy the colors I see so many Obama signs in front of poor, rural working-class homes. I think they are in there clinging to their Pied Piper with hopes the government will take care of them.
    We have lost the battle in our public classrooms. Kids never come home and say to their parents, we need to get government tyranny out of our lives so we can have our liberties back.
    Gillman, keep educating as much as you can, for if conventional wisdom prevails and we lose the all the branches in this election, we will have a new battle keeping your blog alive.

11. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Richard, I resent your implication. I’m from rural northern Michigan and my family goes back 140 years in that part of the state. And most of the time my family line was dirt poor–but they worked their asses off.

I find it deeply offensive that the implication that anyone poor or rural with Obama sign in their yard must want the government to take care of them and they’re lazy.

My grandfather worked CCC in the 30s, and the workers would save their food rations and give them to the school kids when they go back into town. It was life and death and putting were busting their humps and not making it.

Where was the vaunted “free market” then?!

12. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Sorry about the typos in the previous message. I was in a hurry.

October 8, 2008 at 2:50 pm

actually Bill, an Obama Sign in the yard DOES suggest you support OBAMA who is fundamentally FOR government sponsored Cradle To Grave insurance. It is his platform. it is undeniable.

And BTW, Richard NEVER said the word “lazy.” If there is something bothering you on that level you might seek professional help Dear JGillman cant help.

14. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 6:36 pm

I believe health care should be a fundamental right–not a privilege like owning a nice car. Good people bust their asses everyday. You go knock on their doors–these supporters of Obama–and tell them to get off it that life is all about Darwin and they can live or die on their own.

Please report back to me on your results

October 8, 2008 at 7:54 pm

You make it too easy.

Health care is a product. Products are created and improved by demand. IF a product doesn’t generate enough of a reward, it will not improve.

If the GOVERNMENT involves itself in it, there will be LESS incentive for the guy (or gal) who is looking at a career in medicine to pursue that career.

So what YOU are saying is: I’m Bill, I want Healthcare as a Right, even if there wont be any doctors. THAT is the logical result of your “belief.”

Trouble is with all you socialists, you fail to look at the logical result of your desired actions. What do you think the reason was for the current crisis? Magic?

It was government involving itself in the “natural selection” of mortgages. It is probably the best lesson in the effect of socialism in our time, and the message will be missed by most in power.

My ideology allows me to actually look at cause and effect. Does yours?

16. Bill
    October 8, 2008 at 9:48 pm

My health is not something I can take or leave like a car or the latest refrigerator. It is NOT a product, a commodity like a toaster–nor then is the assurance of having access to quality health services like the chosen “haves.” There’s no sense going around and around about this: you and I have different definitions on this issue.

Me personally? I have great insurance. The ironic thing about that? When someone like me gets good insurance through the free market, fair and square, through your vaunted hard work and sacrifice, idiots like Kyle Olson call me a thug and tell me I shouldn’t have good insurance and that I should be paying through the nose like everyone else (gee, that sounds pretty socialistic, does it not?). Go figure. You on the Right love the idea of “everyone getting the same” when you’re trying to TEAR DOWN a segment of the working class so they’re making and paying as much as the huddled masses on the bottom. BUT you sure as hell don’t want it the other way around! (pulling up the huddled masses and offering them something better.)

Anyway. Back to the topic. I have good insurance. But I know many good people who don’t–many good, hardworking taxpayers who don’t. What’s their recourse? Go find a job with good insurance! Too bad most of those are overseas right now and if you do find a job that has health care that will allow you to AFFORD being sick, you have right-wing wackos like Olson trying to take it away from you.

Or McCain wanting to throw you a bone of a $5k tax credit (lol) that goes straight to the insurer–oh, and btw, you’re taxed on it anyway. LMAO!

No one this side of Hillary–including Obama–is calling for a national health care system. But there are too many people falling through the cracks, too many people an illness away from bankruptcy. Sorry, those people need more than your “oh, well, the free market has spoken and you’re out” mantra.

October 8, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Your gratuitous bashing of someone who is likely not a reader here, and unable to defend his positions has earned you the distinguished award of being barred from further discussion. Your words speak for themselves.

Somewhere along the way to replacing the 40 watt incandescent bulb in your skull, you happened along a little too much lead.